Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Suzy Homemaker!

I realize that this is not a term that has really ever been used for me, I don't like to cook (take out tonight...) and my house is never spotless no matter how hard I try. But I do have to say that I have made a new step towards the title of Suzy Homemaker... I canned pears this week... Up until this point in my life I have taken my mom's attitude towards canning (I'll work and pay for the cans instead of having to can!!) We have a pear tree that I offered all the fruit to my sister Mandy, but she talked me into helping her can them. I have to admit that she did all the organizing, cooking, and preparing, but I did peel and cut pears for a good 4 to 5 hours!!! Now she is talking me into helping with the peaches as well....I guess we are both suckers for free food and I have to say there is something about adding to food storage that makes me feel like I have accomplished something!

6 comments:

Macie's Momma said...

good for you, I am going to can this week for the first time. Im sure it really isnt that much cheaper but i am excited just to know exactly what goes into the jars..

McKell & Jarrett said...

Hey Suz! Idk if you have my blog but here it is now! :)

Shelley Hansen said...

I do salsa, tomatoes, corn... That is where I draw the line! I don't do it every year. Just when one of my sisters say... Are you making salsa this year? How have you been? I love this blogging stuff.

Adrianne said...

Hey, I haven't blogged for a while and saw that you found me!!! I was so excited and way proud of you for canning pears. We so need to hang out and let our kids play, so we can catch up. I will add you to my blog and maybe we can keep in touch a little better!!

Becky said...

I have always thought you were Suzy Homemaker. I didn't know cooking had anything to do with it! Yay for you!

jjcrew said...

Hey Suz,
That's the first thing I EVER canned and it was just two years ago after Jared graduated. It's not half bad, huh? The reason I don't can is because we don't eat the things you can can. :) ~Jenn